Thursday, May 30, 2013

Re: Culture Shock

It's been a week since I left Japan (although it feels like much longer) and I'm still adjusting to some cultural differences. Surprisingly, I haven't been muttering Japanese under my breath like I thought I would be; instead, here is a list of some of the things that have thrown me for a loop this past week:

High Counter Tops: In case you didn't know, on average, Japanese people are shorter than Americans. This means shorter kitchen counter tops, sink counter tops, etc. In Japan, if Momo stood up on her hind legs she could neatly prop her nose against the kitchen counter top and almost snag some food. In America, it would take a Momo + a half a Momo to do so.

Lights: In Japan, lights that have a pull string usually take three pulls to turn completely off. Here, it just takes one pull. I may or may not be inadvertently turning my lights off on and then off again.

Politeness: I'm willing to wager there is no country in the world with politer service than Japan. Needless to say, American cashiers, waitresses, etc. don't even come close.

Hearing Multiple Languages: Is that... Spanish? Vietnamese? French??? I haven't heard those languages in AGES!

Sending Mail from the Mailbox: You mean I don't have to go to the nearest combini (convenience store) to send mail? I can do it from my door step?? What I still don't understand is, if Japanese mailmen deliver mail to your mail box, why can't they also pick up mail to be delivered. Mystery.

Spices: It took me only one trip to one local supermarket to find every spice that I needed (dried dill, chipotle chile powder). Astounding!

Car Parking: I'm still getting used to not backing up to go into car spaces. And the whole driving on the other side of the road shindig.

Beers: I never realized American supermarkets held so many different kinds of beer. I guess I'm going to have to branch out from Asahi, Kirin, and Sapporo (although Sapporo will always hold a special place in my heart).

Premier Status Loss: Not really related to culture shock but still a surprise none the less (I'm so spoiled!!). Goodbye shorter lines and earlier boarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment