Saturday, April 6, 2013

A Year in June: Chapter 5

            “June-kun, want to take a break?” Mina asked, wiping sweat off of her brow with her scarf. “June-kun?”
            “Who, me?” June asked carefully painting a crevice of the porch. She much preferred painting to building, even if Mina insisted on painting the whole porch a dull uniform brown. “What’s a kun?
            “In Japan we add these to the end of people’s names. Kun, chan, san, sama, they mean like ‘mister’. Some are formal, but kun is for close friends.”
            June felt warm despite the late February chill, “So can I call you Mina-kun?” 
            “No, you can call me Mina-chan. Kun is for boys.” She grinned mischeviously.
            “I’m not a boy!” June protested.
            “Sorry, it is selfish, but in my life I always felt closer friendship to boys so I always use kun for close friends. So is it okay to call you June-kun?”
            “Of course, Mina-chan. Although, I still think Mina-kun sounds better.”
            “You can call me Mina-sama, Master Mina” she retorted.
Mina and June spent the rest of that afternoon joking and working until the sun dipped below the horizon and 5 p.m song had them clamoring inside to continue their banter over beer.

---

No comments:

Post a Comment