Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A Year in June: Chapter 12


            “My father found me on the ground and called 119—they pumped my stomach. I lived. This was my father’s last kindness for me. He never visited me at the hospital. Not once for two weeks. Instead, Joseph visited me every day.”
            Joseph was a medical student from San Francisco who was doing an internship in Japan. It was his second to last semester in medical school and he was gaining practical experience working with an emergency response team. Although his days were incredibly busy, he somehow always found time to stop by Minazuki’s room.
            “Those were some of my heaviest hours. Alone, I would have drowned in my own dark waters. But I was able to resurface because of those conversations, those short, daily conversations. Because of him, I am still alive.
Their communication had been stilted due to Joseph’s primarily medical Japanese and Mina’s grade-school textbook Japanese-English. But somehow, according to Mina, they managed to converse on subjects ranging from culture to music to religion.  
            “Religion was Joseph’s favorite topic. We spent a long time talking about Christianity. He grew up in a small town in Oklahoma. The Bible Belt was what he called it. I imagined a belt made of books and it made me think he came from a very interesting place. Joseph always told me that I was alive because God wanted me to be alive. And I should accept Jesus Christ as my savior to become closer to God and better understand His plan for my life. I listened politely, but in my heart I felt a different truth.
            On my last day in the hospital my stomach had finally settled and I was feeling brave so I asked him ‘why did you visit me every day?’ I was not sure I would like the answer.
He took pause, then answered, ‘as we took you into the ambulance, you struggled for a brief moment even though you were barely conscious. You reached out your hand to your father and asked him not to leave you. Only I noticed and only I saw his response, which was to turn his back and return to the house. I knew at that moment I would not leave you while you stayed at the hospital. No one should be alone, Minazuki.’
 He then told me that if I accepted Jesus I would never be alone. That Jesus would save me. But it was too late. I had already accepted another savior, and I would live on because of what he had done for me.”
June was losing feeling in her fingers and toes from the cold. Her mind sluggishly sorted through a few things to say to Mina, but coming up empty she said nothing and they continued building the porch in silence.

---

No comments:

Post a Comment