Thursday, September 15, 2011

Some great email clips I've received lately

On my proposed fellowship in Japan - from a Japanese professor at Tohoku University:
I want you to make two promises, however. One, make learning Japanese language (especially reading) your number one priority for you will find a lot of local publications that you must read here. Two, do an "old style" ethnography without overtheorizing; forget all the images you now have about the disaster and just "look" and "listen" when you
come.

On following my passions in design - from a design blogger working (one of my) dream profession(s):
Toward the end of college I had the chance to meet a local design hero of mine. I asked him, “How can I do what you do?” He looked me straight in the face and said "you can't teach self creativity." To say I was shocked is an understatement. He sounded like he was telling me - you've either got it, or you don't. His choice of words was harsh and at first I was taken back by his honesty. I've lived with this moment in my head for more then 6 years and have not yet come to a conclusion whether he was correct.
I worked for an ad agency for 5 years and now work at a design consultancy. Not all of the work I do is glamorous but I do my best to make it fun. I am a firm believer that you can make something cool for every project. Whether it's hiding your initials in the background of an illustration or embossing the cover of a book with gold leaf. There is always a way to find something small to love about every project and finding that piece is so important.

On performance and dance - from a dancer who has far outstripped me in talent and dedication (:
I was just looking at the video of last night's performance. It reminded me of sophomore fall when I was super scared and intimidated of freestyling, but I watched you freestyle in Lowell Lecture Hall, and I thought "I want to do that. I want to be like Kat." And I just realized that I never told you that you were my main inspiration for wanting to freestyle. So yea, maybe I wouldn't be out on stage or even be so involved with the breakers if it weren't for you.


On the partying lifestyle - from a hilarious and (light weight) friend:
The 151 was somehow way too much...that one shot had me and my girlfriend feeling crappy until like 3am. =[ So I am definitely only staying at today's pregame for a little...haha.

and a bit later

Oh! Never mind, I got confused...that pregame was yesterday. Wow, I might still be drunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment