Thursday, September 11, 2014

Berkeley Wanderings pt. 3

On Wednesday I had no class and decided to spend my afternoon taking a leisurely walk to Solano Ave. My sun-starved eyes were in shock from the brightness outside but I managed to discover a few interesting things regardless.

There were a lot of toy/game stores along the way. It took all my restraint not to wander into each of them.

Maybe I can ride one of these tricycles to burning man

I found the sister cellar to the North Berkeley wine shop that I frequent. Took a look around the shop, definitely more expensive than the North Berkeley one.

There was a wine bar in there that I passed up for the time being...
Eventually I found my way to a middle eastern deli. Everything looked delicious but I settled on buying a bottle of tahini (for my babaganoush) and four falafel balls (that quickly became three) for dinner.
Tasty little corner shop

Nice hot falafel ball? Yes please. 
On the walk back I gave in and decided to try a flight at Solano cellars. The red flight of the week was themed on "must" weight--a concept that was new to me. The higher the must weight, the higher the alcohol content.

The Melville was really good. Didn't get much reading done on my novel though.
There was a wine rep present who was trying to sell wines to the cellar.
They got to try at least 5 pours of wines and spit all of them out and then poured out the dregs.
Nooo! I'll be the wine receptacle. 
The shop owners were quite nice and the female one definitely warmed up to me after I bought a bottle. The concept of different weekly wine flights is fun though and although it is a 30 minute walk from my place it is only a 5 minute bus ride. Maybe I'll bring some friends next time and share the discoveries of my wandering.

In other news--I've settled on a summer job for 2015! I'm staying in the bay, and days like yesterday only served to reaffirm this decision.  

No comments:

Post a Comment