Wednesday, August 6, 2014

OCI -- aka. only Berkeley students could make this process this relatively painless

I like interviews because I like talking to people. I always prefer interviews to cover letters or written exams or anything of that sort. Never in my life, however, have I had to do 13 interviews in 3 days (15 total, luckily Thursday and Friday are light). And that number, I've heard, is on the lower side. During WorldMUN I interviewed upwards of 60 people, but it's always different when you're on the interviewing side of the table. Trying to not look bored when your 5th interviewer of the day is going on about a very niche part of the law is tough.

I've had some great interviews and some not-so-great interviews, as is to be expected. Since I'm spending my downtime in a room of 7 other people going through the interview process I get to hear their stories as well.

Some of my own not-so-great experiences:
- The interviewer plays with a pile of staples during the interview and then proceeds to openly yawn while I talk about my time during the World Cup in Cape Town (okay, if that's not interesting to you, I don't know what is). He also describes his firm's culture as "a bunch of really intelligent and high strung people who don't really know how to get out of each other's way." Great, great sell.
- One interviewer who is clearly confused by the narrative I'm trying to tell and asks "wait, so you wanted to write a thesis ... about dancing?" No, well sort of yes, but no. Where is the ctrl+z to this interview?

Some stories I've heard from others:
- An interviewer who is almost verbally abusive to an interviewee because he just hates her prior employer (and it's an employer who everyone usually loves, yikes)
- Limp fish handshakes (this must be a pet peeve)
- Interviewers who just stare at transcripts at the beginning of the interview and then decide based on that whether or not you are hirable

All in all nothing too crazy, but I guess the "not-so-great" interview stories just go to show how amicable the interviewers are. I've had great conversations that range from lessons from Japan to "North American Mega Cap Funds." One woman loved my breakdancing experiences and another female attorney confided that women were going to take over the universe.

I come home every day pretty exhausted, but it's been a unique and definitely informative experience. Who a firm sends to be the "embodiment" of their culture/practice speaks volumes more than I could find on any website. Two more interviews this week and then it's on to callbacks... wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment