Thursday, August 1, 2013

Quotation Mood

I have come to realize that quotes are not universal--a meaningful quote to me might be just another ordinary sentence to you. Sometimes even a quote that resonated with me at the time of writing fails to stir any response when I look at it again. In a way, this all makes quote collections wonderful.

The more I read and the more quotes I write down the more I wish life itself could be reduced to personally poignant memorable phrases.

"Hell, we made it so efficient I became unnecessary. I made myself irrelevant."
--Dave Eggers
A Hologram for the King

"She had gone too far into the unhappiness of the world to start all over again. If she could choose to unlearn everything that was supposed to have made her wise, she would start all over again. Ignorant and hopeful, she would marry all over again and have a child all over again and drink beer with her handsome young husband on this city beach at night. They would be enchanted beginners all over again, kissing under the bright stars. That was the best thing to be in life."
--Deborah Levy
Swimming Home

"When you are surrounded by endless possibilities, one of the hardest things you can do is pass them up."
--Haruki Murakami
Norwegian Wood

"Impossible bliss, incalculable heartbreak, and never a hope of separating one from the other."
--Ken Grimwood
Replay

"You compete with your own limits to transcend the self in imagination and execution. Disappear inside the game: break through the limits: transcend: improve: win. Which is why tennis is an essentially tragic enterprise... it is tragic and sad and chaotic and lovely. All life is the same, as citizens of the human state: the animating limits are within, to be killed and mourned, over and over again... life's endless war against the self you cannot live without."
--David F. Wallace
Infinite Jest

"That's what the world is, after all: an endless battle of contrasting memories."
--Haruki Murakami
1Q84

"You can't regret the life you didn't lead."
--Junot Diaz
The Brief Wondrous life of Oscar Wao

Hope you enjoyed a little slice of my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment