Thursday, November 15, 2012

Japan is Beautiful

I didn't realize how long it's been since I've updated this blog--my bad. I'm so accustomed to being on a regular schedule these last 22 years of my life that with the flexible work I've been doing here the days seem to have a timeless quality.

But what have I been up to lately?

This week I've brought the skills I learned from college (read: WorldMUN) into play--making google groups and using google docs to help the organization with institutionalization. I also realized that I retained something else from college: college style flakiness (you know, agreeing to things and then texting out last minute, must kick the habit).

On my day off we got lost in the Japanese countryside and ended up on top of a gorgeous mountain. It was the most serene and quiet I had experienced in a long time. As I walked around the open field atop that mountain I could hear the grass and the thistle and really feel the cold. I felt like I was standing on the verge of something.


Last night V and I took a mini roadtrip to a seaside clifftop set of cabins. The cabin we stayed in was made of wood and absolutely beautiful. The view from the patio, behind four sets of floor to ceiling windows, was directly of the beach, surf, and opposing cliffside. (What an amazing WorldMUN retreat house this would I have been, I thought to myself) We spent the evening and morning there, making apple and pecan pies. Somehow the oven also caught on fire.

Every day is an adventure.

Which one of these is not like the other
I have also rethought the project I want to undertake here. The stories that I have gathered, not from the survivors of the tsunami, but from the missionaries working here, have been some of the most compelling and interesting ones. Japan is a beautiful place, but it has its ugliness as well. I think it's just hidden better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment