Thursday, October 20, 2011

Creativity through Limitations

Sometimes total freedom does not foster creativity. Restriction fosters creativity.

Three summers ago in Japan I took a freestyle dance lesson that consisted entirely of ways to restrict yourself in order to foster creativity: don't take your hands out of your pocket until a pivotal moment, keep your left foot at the same place on the ground during an entire set, dance with your eyes closed, only move what's above the waist.

Yet it wasn't until today that I realized restrictions can foster creativity in other areas as well. For photography for instance, restrictions could be: take exactly one minute looking at an object and framing it before taking a shot, every day at 5pm take a photograph, don't use the zoom, don't look at the viewfinder and take instinct shots.

I have yet to flesh this idea out entirely, but I'm already excited to try some of these out. I have also started to look at light and lighting as a very tricky and difficult (for me personally; despite taking photo classes I still have no idea how aperture and shutter speed really work) but interesting project to pursue.

No comments:

Post a Comment