Monday, June 21, 2010

Espana, Espana, nana

Again I forgot my camera. Aye, never learn. Luckily there will be another Italy match on Thursday and another Espana match on Friday. I've got my flag ready for Spain, still need to buy one for Italy.

Today it was off to the water front to watch the Spanish match with a bunch of Spanish people! Exciting, seeing as how this time Spain actually won! In my excitement I managed to devour a dinner's worth of corn nuts, chips, beef jerky (or deer jerky, whatever it is they have in South Africa), and dried fruit. Og, I need to go on a serious weight loss plan.

Moonlighted as a Spaniard, as I was asked "Where are you from?" on the streets several times, and each time I would answer "Espanaaa!" and then run away before I was forced to respond with any of my well practiced spanish phrases (necessito comer - I need to eat, estoy hambrienta - I'm starving, te amo - I love you).

Ended up at a bar where we met up with the Italians from the previous day. D, a very tall and humorous spanish guy, took my good friend A out to see his boat. This launched the Italians into a heated conversation. Apparently in Italy, the sexual come-on is "would you like to come see my butterfly collection?" (those Italians sure know how to get women). According to Steven Pinker it's "would you like to see my etchings?" (no witty comment about Harvard professors getting women comes to mind). According to the Germans I met at WorldMUN it was "would you like to see my stamp collection?". I informed them that the Americans were far less subtle and our "booty calls" are somewhere along the lines of "shall I get a condom?".

Other interesting encounters for the night included: a Japanese lady who kept telling me how pretty I was and showed me off to her friends. She also told me to beware of Italian men, like G, who was standing there smiling sheepishly; that and a whole host of Irish guys dressed up in communist outfits (they were supporting North Korea in the match today - a shocking 7-0 score, yikes!).

All in all a successful evening. I'm bringing my camera with me everywhere from now on. Fsho.

No comments:

Post a Comment