Thursday, January 8, 2015

Winterbreak 2014 Recap

As winter break grinds to a halt and spring semester slowly but surely ramps up, it's time to reflect a bit about the past few weeks.

It's been really great to have the high school gang back together in the South bay. We certainly had our share of shenanigans--from highfiving each other from moving cars, to getting pulled over by bored Cupertino police officers, to setting up the epic Marriott suite bar (I think someone even used the Angostura bitters), to making Japanese octopus balls and beer towers (something I haven't done since my days with T-chan in Japan).

As my mom pointed out, this was also the longest amount of time I've spent at home for years! Although being at home can be restricting at times, it was great to spend some time with my family. We went horseback riding by the beach, vacationed at an amazing mansion in Paso Robles (essentially the less commercial Napa), got some legit shopping done (my sister and I made sure to check out all the ridiculously sparkly clothing gracing the racks these days), and got fat off of some yummy holiday food.

Finally, winter break was a good time for me to reconnect with my hobbies. I finished We are All Completely Besides Ourselves, Ocean at the End of the Lane, and American Gods. Currently reading Slaughterhouse Five. I also became re-obsessed with Deviantart and spent hours admiring (and being somewhat jealous over) all the amazing artists on the website. Determined not to be left behind, I took to pencil and paper and sketched quite a bit. With art, more than anything, it's easy to see my shortcomings because when I envision in my head is never what translates to paper. This makes drawing incredibly frustrating but it also makes the places for improvement crystal clear. Hopefully I'll find time next semester to improve my craft.

I also finished almost all three seasons of Bob's Burgers--so there's that.

But what's a first post of the year without some forward looking? Except that next semester is shaping up to be incredibly busy. On the stressful side of things: I'll be working at an international human rights clinic where my project is around the rights of tipped wage workers. I'll also be working with my highly-motivated professor to turn my really, ah, sub-par paper into something readable and perhaps even publishable. And on top of that, my journal responsibilities ramp up this semester as I work on organizing a symposium for an amazing keynote speaker from the Hague. I'll also be taking three regular classes on top of all that so... woohoo?

On the less stressful and more funfull side of things: I'm flying down to LA to visit MB and go camping at Joshua Tree National Park. Though I am not necessarily the biggest nature gal I do so love new experiences so am looking forward to it (and korean BBQ, haha)! A (steadily growing) group of Boalties have also booked a trip to Vegas for the end of February so it's time to hit the city of clubs and chubs once more. Fingers crossed that SW and I will book a trip for spring break--Puerto Rico? Jamaica? Oaxaca (ok, that's my dream, not SW's)? Cuba??? Only time will tell.

Looking forward to a stressful yet fun semester!

Tl;dr: winterbreak was low-key but funtimes at home; next semester will be busy with fun traveltimes interspersed in between. 

No comments:

Post a Comment