Sunday, July 15, 2012

Like a Dream: Hot Air Ballooning in Cappadocia

I had a dream where before the break of dawn I was whisked away deep into a valley in Cappadocia. When we slowed down, all around were canvases rising like so many lumps of dough. My heart beat faster. The car stopped. We scrambled out and I entered the basket. It was chilly outside, the sun had not yet risen. But there was fire above me, a fire that would soon lift the ground out from under my feet. The fire filled the canvassed balloon with hot air and soon I was airborne!

The landscape of Cappadocia is magical at eye level, or from mountain tops, but it is most haunting from a bird's eye view. We weren't alone that morning. As the sun rose over the chiseled hilltops, balloons populated the sky.

Seconds later, which I am assured was a full hour (but really, who can assure anything in dream-time?), we landed and the dream came to an end.





"Real and unreal, beautiful and strange, like a dream. It got me high as a kite, but it didn’t last long enough. It ended too soon and left nothing behind...That’s how it is with dreams...They’re the perfect crime.” - Tom Robbins

No comments:

Post a Comment