Saturday, April 17, 2010

one new message

Last night I received a message from someone who I've been searching for ... for a long time. She had been so instrumental in my life that I had to reconnect with her some how. Yet for the life of me I could not find her anywhere. Instead she found me.

Melissa S. 16 April at 23:25
Kathleen from my fifth grade? Who gave me the Young Author's Book that she and her partner wrote ;)
How are you?!
Ms. Scadina

After reading her message I just wanted to gush back how important she had been in shaping who I was. Did she know the reason why I ever felt like a decent writer was because of her? How do teachers choose their special projects? I wonder if she saw me walk into class the first day - head down, not belonging to any clique, awkwardly tall for my age, dressed by my mom, eager to smile, eager to please, and full of nervous energy - and decide that here was someone worth gifting some self confidence to. Regardless, I'm forever thankful.

I remember why I wanted to be a teacher - so I can do for someone, even one person, what Ms. Scadina had done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment